List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Do you know what is this bay in my laptop?
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2017-09-24 2:21:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 2017-09-23 01:15, Todd Rme wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Todd Rme <> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you know what is this bay in my laptop?
>>>
>>>  http://susepaste.org/24703726

>> I couldn't find a good picture of the socket, but I did find something
>> that is supposed to be a "modem daughter card" and it looks to me like
>> it would fit both the plug and space in the chassis:
>>
>> http://www.techpartswarehouse.com/product/CO-510100-001-HP-56KBPS-Soft-Modem-Daughter-Card-31664.cfm
>
> Here are removal and installation instructions for a "modem daughter
> card" on another laptop.  Not only does the plug and form-factor look
> the same, but it has two screw holes in the same place as your laptop:
>
> https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-68274

Wow, thank you people, you found out what that thing is! :-)

I'm certainly not going to buy a modem, of course, but I was curious
what that unused bay could be for.

I think I bought this machine around 2010, I doubt there was a market
for modems even then.

And thank you Andrei, ellanio, Per, for the links to my laptop manuals,
I'll save them :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.