List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Cannot install rsyslog under Leap 42.3
From:       Marc Chamberlin <marc () marcchamberlin ! com>
Date:       2017-08-10 20:51:40

According to the README file that comes in /var/log it says I should be
able to install rsyslog to run alongside the fancy journal -

"Syslog implementations such as syslog-ng or rsyslog may be installed
side-by-side with the journal
and will continue to function the way they always did."

Yet when I try, using YaST2, I am getting the following ominous error
message -

"systemd-logger-228-29.1.x86_64 conflicts with
namespace:otherproviders(syslog) provided by rsyslog-8.24.0-1.3.x86_64"

My choices are to either deinstall systemd_logger-228-29.1.x86_64
(sounds like a bad idea to my uneducated eyes) or not to install rsyslog
which conflicts with my intentions because that is exactly what I am
trying to do, install it!

So, if I blow away the systemd-logger will I also lose the ability to
use the fancy journal logging ability? Or encounter some other nasty
surprise later on? Thought I better ask before I do something dumb, as I
was expecting rsyslog to install without a whimper...

     Marc..