List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] systemd
From:       Larry Stotler <larrystotler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-07-15 22:50:25

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM, ianseeks <bingmybong@btinternet.com> wrote:
> How do you think is actually in the init system? Don't get fooled into
> thinking the "extras" in the systemd project are actually in the init system
> itself.

It's not really the extras so much as the other projects that intend
to make systemd a dependency(ie Gnome).  What if someone releases
something better in the future?  Then these dependencies would
discourage adoption.

> BSD has to get Cgroups before it can be used anyway.

Most BSDs don't seem to want systemd from what I have seen anyway.

>> From what I have seen, a lot of people just don't like the devs, LP
>> the least.  For all his ranting, in some ways he is as arrogant as
>> Linus is "mean".
> This is the main reason, professional jealousy.

I can't comment on that though I have seen many articles about the
issues with systemd pro and con.

> systemd has gone quite a way to reduce fragmentation by providing a
> standardise way of running on all the distros without each distro having to
> reinvent the wheel.

Maybe, but we still have hundreds of distros(many unmaintained)
compared to the "competition" on the desktop.  Seems to be a lot of
duplicative effort(but effort that peoplke chose to make).