List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Asus laptop ?
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2017-05-26 15:15:24

On 05/26/2017 09:30 AM, Anthony Youngman wrote:
> On 26/05/17 10:58, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> Op 23-05-17 om 12:26 schreef Koenraad Lelong:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My daugher needs a new laptop. She is used to linux, so she wants
>>> it  on the new laptop.
>>> One candidate is an Asus N752VX-GC084T. Anyone has experience with
>>> it running Opensuse ?
>>> The PC has two graphical chips (NVidia Optimus ?). Does this work
>>> with linux nowadays ?
>>>
>>> Or any recommandations ? 17" screen with decent quality, full HD,
>>> good battery-life.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Koenraad.
>>>
>> Thanks for your replies.
>>
>> Helpfull information and more things to consider.
>>
> Bit more to consider - some laptops seem to have batteries that are
> difficult to change. Mine just clips off and on. The original battery
> was "6 cells" and, after about 4 years, was pretty much dead, not
> surprisingly. I've now replaced it with a 12-cell battery pack, and
> that gives me an 8-10hr battery life. For an old 17" laptop with a
> rotating rust hard drive, that's a very good life. And if the battery
> is hard to replace, well you're looking at a dead (or, at least, won't
> work unless it's plugged in) laptop after 3 years or so if you make
> good use of it.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

A while back I bought a Dell Inspiron Duo. You have to dismantle half
the laptop to get to it. But that's only half the battle. Dell put a
secret chip in the battery. If that chip isn't in there the battery
won't work. Most replacement batteries don't have this chip. So, I'm
stuck with a notepad sized computer that will only work when plugged in.
Kind of takes away from why I bought it in the first place.

Just something else to think about.

--
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things: