List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: Why are systemd's logs stored as binaries?
From:       Wols Lists <antlists () youngman ! org ! uk>
Date:       2016-12-24 1:00:01

On 23/12/16 11:36, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2016-12-22 19:57, Anton Aylward wrote:
>> On 12/22/2016 01:29 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>

>> As for compatible commitment, can you show me a similar
>> statement for other binary media such as eBooks or the binary
>> format used by the Linux link-loader?
>
> Greg mentioned a tool for Windows that specifies being able to read
> 15 year old logs.
>
> As for ebooks, that's a proprietary format, not opensource. There
> are many complains about that format. What many people do is break
> the protection and save the backup as unprotected ebook, to negate
> the control to the companies and keep it in the hand of the person
> that bought the ebook or his inheritors.

What's wrong with proprietary formats? What matters is that they are
DOCUMENTED formats.

And actually, I believe journald's predecessor format wasn't even
*defined*, let alone documented (other than the *assumption* it was
ascii text - even that wasn't a given, I believe!)

> As to the link loader, it remains compatible. I still run binaries
> that were built circa yr 2000.

And I can (if I could only get the program to run) use a certain DOS
program from 1994 to read files created by its latest incarnation. The
WordPerfect file format has remained unchanged, and both backwards-
AND forwards-compatible since WP6 was released in 1994. And the only
reason the file format changed from the WP5 format was because of
Microsoft.

This ever-changing file-formats roundabout - I won't say it was
*created* by them - has been made the norm by Microsoft as a
revenue-gouging technique.

Cheers,
Wol