List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: Why are systemd's logs stored as binaries?
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-12-23 22:30:19

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:05 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@gmail.com> wrote:
> The binary logs are certainly closer to something that is far more tamper
> proof.  The format and structure is documented, and will be as readable in
> 2020 or 2120 as they are today.  But if you don't trust the process of printing
> them in human readable form then all is for naught.

The tamper proof nature is what I hoped this thread would be about.

I was hoping that people would provide reasons (or point at relevant
web resources) why journald binary logs were preferred to traditional
text logs.

Instead the whole discussion went sideways.

Personally, I expect journald logs to be better than syslog text logs,
but little has been said to truly support that.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer