List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: Why are systemd's logs stored as binaries?
From:       jdd <jdd () dodin ! org>
Date:       2016-12-22 18:41:57

Le 22/12/2016 à 19:29, Greg Freemyer a écrit :

> But, what if I'm doing an examination of a server 5 years after the
> fact.  (I really do things like that on occasion.)

same for databases. Did you notice mysql backups are in text form?

It's not surprising than a system that is pretty new don't have all the
tools an old one have.

If we happen to have no more electricity, will' have to resort to
printed material...

That's a very good reason to keep old and new for a long period of time.
There are still kde3 users down here :-)

this is no reason not to use modern systems, with reason.

The interest of present discussion is to make clear what is the
fundamental of the problem. It's certainly not what is written in the
subject. Better werite it as:

* how to manage useful flood in logs?
* how to manage very long term logs archival

and may be some others

jdd