List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] repository metatdata download times
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2016-12-07 2:39:11

On 2016-12-06 22:12, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:20:08 +0100
> "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

> I appear to have more experience than you in data compression in
> conjunction with large data transfers since I know it is possible and
> various possible techniques. But I'm more interested in establishing
> first what is the problem to be solved than proposing hypothetical
> solutions to hypothetical problems.

It is already compressed, thus you can not download a "modified chunk",
it is all or nothing. You can have a look yourself at the metadata files
on the server and find out what could be done.

The only current possibility is to publish diff files, like what the
clam antivirus does.

--=20
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)