List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] repository metatdata download times
From:       Dave Howorth <dave () howorth ! org ! uk>
Date:       2016-12-06 21:12:20

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:20:08 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@telefonica.net> wrote:

> On 2016-12-06 20:50, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:23:05 +0100

> >> It doesn't download the "changes", it downloads some big files,
> >> fully.
> >
> > Exactly. My question is why? (Or WTF in modern parlance)
>
> How exactly would you download the changes?
>
> Please define the method and data structures that you propose in
> detail.
>
> Hint: it is not that simple.

I appear to have more experience than you in data compression in
conjunction with large data transfers since I know it is possible and
various possible techniques. But I'm more interested in establishing
first what is the problem to be solved than proposing hypothetical
solutions to hypothetical problems.

So I'd welcome a constructive dialogue.