List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] repository metatdata download times
From:       Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2016-12-06 20:00:08

Op dinsdag 6 december 2016 19:50:26 CET schreef Dave Howorth:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:23:05 +0100
>
> "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@telefonica.net> wrote:
> > On 2016-12-06 00:54, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > > When I run software update, it says it is updating the repositories
> > > and this takes some time (seemingly a long time). Tonight I noticed
> > > that it claims to be downloading at over 600 k(something)/second.
> > > That seems to me to be sufficiently fast that the changes in the
> > > repositories since the last time I donloaded them (yesterday)
> > > should take almost no time.
> >
> > It doesn't download the "changes", it downloads some big files, fully.
>
> Exactly. My question is why? (Or WTF in modern parlance)

If it's up to me, stick to proper phrasing. Makes understanding others a bit
less complicated IMNSHO.

OT.  1 Byte = 8 bits, a factor 8. Which can make a difference in speed
experience.

Which repos are we talking about? The distro's repodata are > 100 MB AFAIK,
but it's useless to refresh those repos, since they don't change after
release.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member