List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] dual boot installation
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2016-11-05 14:23:40

On 11/05/2016 08:52 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2016-11-05 12:21, Billie Walsh wrote:
>> When I want to dual boot I use Windows to resize and create a partition
>> before I start the install. That gives a clean partition to install into.
> Creating a new partition when all 4 are in use is not trivial.

Windows knows best how to work with itself. Using Windows to resize and
create a partition works better than using a third party, ie Linux,
partition manager. At least that has always been my experience.

I don't remember his exact partition scheme but I would resize the 400+
partition into two and use half for Opensuse. Windows will still have
what it wants and the recover partition is intact if it's ever needed
for Windows.

Conversely, use Windows to create a recovery set of DVD's and delete the
recovery partition. Then use Windows to repartition the drive using the
free space created and part of the main Windows partition. The down side
of this is that if you ever have to use the recovery set you will lose
Opensuse.

My best solution is to buy a 1T drive, clone Windows to it and then do
the above. You could wind up with somewhere about 500G each

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.