List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] MTP file access, Android 6.0 and Linux
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-09-30 23:29:02

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM, sdm <fastcpu@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> On 09/28/2016 06:17 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
>>
>> On 09/21/2016 06:04 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>>>

>>> In general we have MTP support included, but it was not working well
>>> as I tested it.
>>>
>>> In Android 6 you need to specifically allow it on the device too.
>>>
>>> I just tried Nautilus on Tumbleweed, that seems to open them (after
>>> clicking
>>> the accept dialog on the device).
>>>
>>> Ciao, Marcus
>>

>> Thanks, Marcus, this was very helpful, as I was just working on this same
>> problem - connecting to my phone with a cable and transferring files back
>> and forth. I am running KDE on my smaller laptop at the moment while out of
>> the house, and trying to transfer through dolphin just wasn't working. I
>> would always get the error "The MTP protocol died unexpectedly" with every
>> attempt to transfer, and even if I hit the "allow" button on my phone it
>> would happen again.
>>
>> I have gnome installed on this pc also, but I didn't try to switch over to
>> gnome. Instead, after reading this, I just opened up Nautilus and was able
>> to transfer the files as much as I liked, without any error. Sure beats
>> having to boot up in windows to make the transfer. Using a cable, too, is so
>> much faster than trying to do it over wifi, the cloud, or something else. I
>> haven't tried kde-connect yet - I know  a lot of folks like that, and maybe
>> I will see about making that work next.
>>
> On TW I just transferred many gigs of files to the internal memory card via
> MTP (yes, that is with a USB cable) to an Android 6.0 device with 0
> problems. It instantly came up without issue in KDE as a drive in Device
> Notifier, and I was able to see the MicroSD card which is installed in the
> phone, and transfer files to that. I ejected the drive once I was done in
> KDE, just like any other drive.
>
> The fact that some people are having issues with MTP on mobile phones and
> tablets with Leap/TW make me think this could be a combination of
> motherboard USB controller problems and/or phone model. It also could be due
> to faulty hardware, a bad USB port/cable, and the list goes on. I've seen
> problems with Windows 10 and MTP also, even with the phone's drivers
> installed to the OS. Refreshing files in File Explorer via MTP (yes, they
> renamed Windows Explorer because they wanted to sound cool) freezes up an
> insane amount of time, and there are also problems with writing files via
> MTP on Windows 10. No such issue on Windows 7, and I had connected many
> devices to Win 7 machines via MTP with just 7's generic OS drivers and
> pretty much everything worked right out of the box. No problems refreshing
> files, or anything.
>
> Bottom line is though, that with TW I haven't had any issues with MTP with
> my Android device. I set it to File transfers on the Android device, and
> that's all I need to do in order to start transferring files. By the way,
> [...]

The problem is apparently with the MTP protocol itself.  It is not
designed to handle multiple simultaneous connections to the same
device.  On windows this is not a problem because one program mediates
the connection.  But on Linux this is generally not the case.  Some
phone models can kill one connection and start up another pretty
gracefully, but others have more of a problem with this.