List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] HP to buy SUSE (aka Micro Focus to merge with HP Enterprise)
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2016-09-17 17:54:36

On 09/17/2016 10:17 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:07:44 -0500
> Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:

>>> I'm confused by your last phrase << And therefore also SUSE >>, the
>>> blog says

>>> proposed transaction, HPE <strong>shareholders</strong> would own

>>> not control Micro Focus and would receive no ongoing revenue or
>>> profits from Micro Focus as a result of the merger of Micro Focus
>>> and HPE's software business.</p>

>>> proposed transaction. SUSE ownership would be unchanged. SUSE would
>>> remain a business within the Micro Focus company and Micro Focus
>>> will remain independent of HPE. SUSE would not be owned in any way
>>> or controlled by HPE.</p>
>>>
>>> The blog specifically says << SUSE would not be owned in any way or
>>> controlled by HPE. >>
>>>
>>> Roger
>>>
>> A conundrum. If HPE will own 50.1% of the new company then they are
>> the majority shareholder. That gives them control of the new company
>> and all it owns.
> I think you've misread it. It's not HPE that owns anything, it is the
> current shareholders of HPE who swap their shares for shares in Micro
> Focus.
>
> If they all chose to vote together and all the current shareholders of
> Micro Focus chose to vote against them then the current shareholders of
> HPE would prevail, but I think that's extremely unlikely, not least
> because I expect some people currently own shares in both HPE and Micro
> Focus.

The original post said, "HPE will own 50.1% of the new Micro Focus."

Doesn't say anything about share holders.

To me it reads like HPE will become a part of the new Micro Focus like
SUSE is a part and will be the majority shareholder.

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.