List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Updating to Windows 7 on dual boot openSUSE 13.1
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2016-06-24 15:06:21

On 06/23/2016 11:06 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Billie Walsh composed on 2016-06-23 16:47 (UTC-0500):
>
>> I just did some Windows 7 updates on my dual booted Eepc and there was
>> no issue.
>
> The vast majority of Windows updates do not require Windows' boot
> partition be active. Occasionally one does.

Maybe I've just been very fortunate. Since 2000 when I bought my first
boxed version of SUSE I've never had a Windows update mess with the boot
partition. Upgrades, yes. Going from one version of Windows to the next
has always messed with the boot partition.

Not saying it can't happen on an update, it just never has for me.

For the most part I have stopped dual booting as much as possible. Only
my main laptop and my E are dual booted. I have matching desktops, one
Linux and one Windows. Easier to switch back and forth when necessary
and much simpler than a VM. Plus, I can do both at the same time if I
need to. My Dell Duo is Windows only, I share it with my best half and
she won't do Linux. And, it being part laptop and part tablet I am
hesitant to try a Linux install. It probably would work fine

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.