List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Can't dual boot with Windows 10
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2016-05-11 15:08:25

On 05/10/2016 06:32 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> OK, I'm going crazy after spending two weeks chasing down every bit of
> documentation I could find online.  I've tried Suse Leap, 13.1 and
> 13.2.  13.1 may have destroyed a lot of data on a disk I wasn't
> installing to as it would only load the install in the character mode,
> and even though I kept telling it's scheme to not use that disk, it
> gave feedback that it was formatting that disk.
>
> First, nothing I do or directions I follow will get me a dual boot.
> From my reading, Suse uses the proper ID to get EFI to recognize it as
> a valid OS automatically.
>
> Second, Leap comes closest to installing, but it always fails at the
> end.  I've tried 3 disks burned on 3 different machines to try to
> ensure a good burn.
>
> At the end of the Leap install, I consistently get the following errors:
>
>     quagga can't be installed
>
>     gdm can't be installed
>
>     susefirewall2 not found
>
>     service susefirewall2 not found
>
>     Error: cannot adjust 'NTP' service (I disabled NTP)
>
>     Then the screen goes to character mode and: An Error Occurred.
> (Sometimes error 4)
>
> Then everything hangs.
>
> I've tried a minimal KDE install which gets rid of the quagga and gdm
> errors.
>

> I really need this computer (a newly acquired Dell XPS 8900 i7-6700).
> At this point I would be willing to have a Linux only computer.  I
> rarely use Windows, like to program my Harmony remote whenever I get
> new hardware.
>
> This is obviously beyond anything I've experienced in my 25+ years
> using Suse.  I really don't have a clue about EFI and I don't
> understand it, or anything I've read about it.
>
> Hoping for some sort of direction.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jim

A few years ago we bought some quad core Acers with AMD processors. I
tried installing Linux and it choked and puked. At the time I was using
an AMD dual core of some sort, I don't remember the brand now, which I
fully intended to replace with the Acer once I had it loaded and tested.
After a couple very disappointing attempts I did the unthinkable. I took
the hard drive out of the dual core and dropped it into the quad and
booted it up. It worked like a charm. Booted right up and I never looked
back.

A couple years ago I bought [ practically stole ] a multimedia HP/AMD
quad core laptop. I hit the jackpot. It had places for two hard drives.
I popped my drive out of my Gateway/AMD dual core and put it in the
primary position in the HP, booted up and ran Grub configure. All was
well. [ I put the original Windows drive back in the Gateway and sold it
for almost as much as I paid for the HP ]

Hard drives are relatively cheap these days if you shop around [ WD
Blacks ]. Put in a new hard drive and install on that one. IF there's an
issue with the machine and for some unknown reason you have to return it
for service just take out your Linux drive and send the rest back to the
factory. That way they can't mess with your real operating system.

If you want to see something choke and puke all over itself try putting
a windows hard drive out of one machine into another, different, kind of
machine. Unless they have made major changes to Windows over the years
it's almost comical.

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.