List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] setup dual boot on dell xps13
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2016-04-09 23:41:27

On 04/09/2016 05:54 PM, tech@reachthetribes.org wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just purchased a dell xps 13 and I am getting ready to set up dual
> boot. I noticed that the hard drive (in windows) has 3 partitions in
> this order: 500mb EFI partition, the operating system (C drive,
> 117gb), and an 850mb recovery drive after that.
>
> Using the windows shrink tool, I am freeing up 83gb of the windows
> partition to install opensuse. I know that I will have a swap, the
> root partition, and a data partition.
>
> My question is, is this likely to present a problem for the windows
> recovery partition, since it is at the end of the drive, and my
> windows and linux partitions are in the middle? I have no idea what
> windows will do when all of a sudden there are 3 extra partitions in
> between it and the recovery partition.

My main laptop has two hard drives. Windows knows there is another hard
drive because the system tells it it's there but it can't access it.
Windows, at least up to 7, is blind to Linux file systems. My guess is
that Windows will not even know there are new partitions between it and
swap. Just a big hole in the hard drive.

Linux has no problem at all reading the Windows drive.

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.