List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Bugzilla - a question
From:       ianseeks <ianseeks () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2016-03-29 8:06:33

On Monday, 28 March 2016 10:56:35 BST John Andersen wrote:
> On 03/27/2016 09:34 AM, ianseeks wrote:
> > I was interested in
> > finding out if it was possible to find out if the long standing bugs were
> > "unseen" or "seen" without any status being changed.
>
> If you have a bug found in one release, it will be ignored as a subsequent
> release is produced, UNLESS you go back, test it again, and update the bug
> report to report it still has the problem.  Basically, if you don't care
> enough to revisit the bug, they won't care enough to even look at it.

Yes, thats what i tend to do but probably not as timely as i should. Thats why
I think it would be good if bugzilla could, in some way, flag up that a bug
has been "looked" at (i.e. Just viewed but not updated in any way) so the bug
submitter can see that its been noticed.

> I recently was able to shame the Baloo developers into fixing a hack they
> put in the file extraction routine back in 2014 which prevented the indexing
> of plain text files unless the extension was .txt.  This pretty well
> eliminated the usefulness of Baloo, because tons of stuff evalutates as
> plain/text but does not have an extension of .txt.
>
> I had to find the exact line in the program that caused this error, and
> I updated the bug report with every single point release of baloo pointing
> out that the bug still existed.  This went on for a long time before someone
> noticed.
>
> Of course their eventual fix still hasn't made it to Opensuse update
> Repositories, which is yet another problem.
>

> And on any major release, such as moving to Plasma from KDE4, ALL bugs
> are considered closed, but simply abandoned in the open state.

I didn't know that but i was thinking it might be the case.

> The various bugzillas really do need an Auto-Closed-pending-Reopen
> status, imposed by some daemon, or triggered by a new release,
> Which would at least notify the submitter(s) that the bug needs to
> be re-opened by the original submitter(s) after they verify it still
> exists.
Even a reminder to the bug submitter to have another look at it.

> When so many developers are simply volunteers, (and young ones at that),
> its hard to impose any sense of responsibility, or even pride in
> workmanship.
They must be swamped with reports as well and i guess "scratching the itch" is
more fun developing new stuff. I have found the team developing Plasma 5 quite
good on chasing bugs.