List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] gparted, btrfs, and xfs
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2016-03-24 4:18:18

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Anton Aylward
<opensuse@antonaylward.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2016 08:40 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Anton Aylward
>> <opensuse@antonaylward.com> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>
>> How do you create an LV when you have no free extents in the VG to
>> create the LV?
>
> I've already dealt with question a number of times.
> So long as there is a SCSI slot or a SATA socket free to plug another
> spindle in it can never happen.

OK but that's now an extra drive that's making the advantage, not LVM.
If you have an extra drive to add to LVM, and the OP has an extra
drive to add to Btrfs, it's the same. LVM doesn't contribute to
solving the original posters problem, it's the additional drive that
solves it.

> But that's an extreme case in these days of terabyte drives.  if you've
> created a system that said the RootFS is 10G (including /boot) and the
> rest of your 1T or 2T (or is it 3T these days?) drive is the /home XFS
> then perhaps you weren't thinking about provisioning when you did the
> install.

Like I said from the start, the default partitioning is suboptimal and
the community should ask for it to be fixed. 10GiB root is too small
and it's not the user's fault for not knowing that, the default should
apply to the general purpose case and not make it this easy for the
user to get stuck, especially considering XFS is not shrinkable.

> Lets not even think of ZFS.
> I very particularly don't want to deal with the case of ZFS.

ZFS doesn't shrink either.

> I'm not convinced that 10G is the default root unless the installer is
> faces with a small disk (say 30G to 50G), but yes, any default that is
> so weak as to make root just sufficient (plus some slop) and the rest to
> /home is making a mess of provisioning.  With terabyte drive the
> installer should strongly suggest space for things like /var, /opt and
> /tmp, or at the very least, if the RootFS is to be BtrFS and those to be
> subvolumes, then recalculate the size of the RootFS to accommodate what
> those would been as suggested sizes if they were to have been separate.
>  A 10G that included all those simply is not adequate.
> heck, a 10G without them is not adequate!

Ok so the summary at this point is that we're in pretty much complete agreement.

--
Chris Murphy