List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-11-03 11:39:31

On 02/11/15 01:27, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Sunday, 2015-11-01 at 13:41 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2015-11-01 00:44, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> But I have a question: what about the 8-char alpha-numeric extension
>>> that now comes with every kernel? Is it automatically picked up from
>>> the
>>> *-source?
>>

> Oh, my. What a text corruption. Editing and resending.
>

>> .config - Linux/x86 3.11.10 Kernel Configuration
>> → General setup
>>
>>                                                         General setup
>>     Arrow keys navigate the menu.  <Enter> selects submenus ---> (or
>> empty submenus ----).  Highlighted letters are hotkeys.
>>     Pressing <Y> includes, <N> excludes, <M> modularizes features.
>> Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help, </> for Search.
>>     Legend: [*] built-in  [ ] excluded  <M> module  < > module capable
>>

>>                          ()  Cross-compiler tool prefix
>>                          [ ] Compile also drivers which will not load
>>  =======>                (-29-desktop) Local version - append to
>> kernel release
>>                          [ ] Automatically append version information
>> to the version string
>>                              Kernel compression mode (Gzip) --->
>>                          ((none)) Default hostname
>>                          [*] Support for paging of anonymous memory
>> (swap)
>>                          ↓(+)
>>
>>                          <Select>    < Exit > < Help >    < Save >
>> < Load >
>>

>> Do you refer to that?  (in menuconfig)
>> If so, the answer is "no". It comes from here:
>>
>> /usr/src/linux/.config
>> CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE=""
>> # CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST is not set
>> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-29-desktop"
>>

>> And if you compile your own kernel, you must change it, or your build
>> will replace the original kernel. If your's fails, you have no backup
>> plan.
>
> I hope I deleted all the strange chars that corrupted the display :-(

Actually, I have absolutely no idea if you have deleted or not any
strange chars because what you show above I have not seen before - be it
in a muddled state or not a muddle state. So, I am now totally confu-sed
:-) .

So, how about starting again and letting me know what you were trying to
say :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor