List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2015-11-01 12:41:46

On 2015-11-01 00:44, Basil Chupin wrote:

> But I have a question: what about the 8-char alpha-numeric extension
> that now comes with every kernel? Is it automatically picked up from the
> *-source?

 .config - Linux/x86 3.11.10 Kernel Configuration
 → General setup

 General setup \
    Arrow keys navigate the \
menu.  <Enter> selects submenus ---> (or empty submenus ----).  Highlighted letters \
are hotkeys.        Pressing <Y> includes, <N> excludes, <M> modularizes features.  \
Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help, </> for Search.         Legend: [*] \
built-in  [ ] excluded  <M> module  < > module capable                                \
                                                                                    \

 \
                              ()  Cross-compiler tool prefix                       \
                               [ ] Compile also drivers which will not load       \
      =======>                 (-29-desktop) Local version - append to kernel \
release                                                                        [ \
] Automatically append version information to the version string                      \
                                   Kernel compression mode (Gzip)  --->           \
                               ((none)) Default hostname                          \
                               [*] Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap)  \

   ↓(+) \
     \
                                    <Select>    < Exit >    < Help >    < Save >    \
< Load >                                      \
 \

Do you refer to that?  (in menuconfig)
If so, the answer is "no". It comes from here:

/usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_CROSS_COMPILE=""
# CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST is not set
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-29-desktop"

And if you compile your own kernel, you must change it, or your build will replace \
the original kernel. If your's fails, you have no backup plan.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)