List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] [SOLVED] Leap 42 Beta - grub problem
From:       Gustav Degreef <gustav97 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-28 15:48:56

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 3:30 AM, Gustav Degreef <gustav97@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The output is:
>>
>> Leap 42 -
>> LOADER_TYPE="grub2"
>>
>> 13.1
>> LOADER_TYPE="grub"
>>
>> Prior to installing Leap 42, the master boot loader was grub2 from the
>> 13.1 install.  After Leap messed up the boot loader one of the steps I
>> tried was to install grub legacy from the 13.1 install.   Is there a way
>> to "recover" the boot sections?  From either the 13.1 installation or
>> from the Leap 42?
> I guess you need to decide which OS and which bootloader you want to
> use. I honestly have no idea how "Detect Foreign OS" worked with
> grub-legacy. You can simply change grub to grub2 in yast-bootloader on
> 13.1 and it should give you back grub2 menu..1

I booted into 13.1 went into yast > bootloader, switched from
grub-legacy to grub2, kept the default - to boot from the extended
partition and only put generic code into the MBR.  And it worked!  I
only had to re-run the boot loader module again to set the proper
default boot section (which did not appear the first time).  I think
that the main problem was that I had just gotten quite muddled in my
thinking.  And it only took thinking about it clearly guided by thinking
through the posts, the good replies and googling for pages on grub2.
Gustav.