List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 13.1 suspend - hard drive wakes in different state - how/what to check.
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-28 15:14:05

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:51 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>   I generally don't bother with suspend, just setting the screen-saver to
> blank and letting dpms power the display off, leaving the rest idling. That
> way I can ssh back into the box if I need something. However, I was testing
> suspend (pm-utils from the logout menu option), and ran into a strange
> quirk.
>
>   After waking from suspend, the hard drives seems to be left in a low-power
> mode. I can hear it spin-up every few seconds and then it will idle down
> again. Pre-suspend, the disk is in the normal always-on mode (with hdparm -B
> = 96). I don't know what config would make it wake in a different mode, but
> I can hear the drive spin up regularly after waking.
>
>   Is there somewhere in /etc/pm... or /etc/sysconfig where wake drive power
> state is configured.

David,

The WD Green drives were notorious for aggressive powerdown a few
years ago.  The 100,000 head park warranty could be eaten up in Linux
in a matter of weeks as I recall.

Checkout the package storage-fixup which was used to force the always-on mode.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?project=openSUSE%3A13.2&package=storage-fixup

I'm not sure if it helps after suspend or not.  Or if it still works
in a systemd world.

Also, it doesn't look like it has had an update in a few years, so
even if it does still work with the infrastructure you may have to add
your drive model number, etc. to the config file that is used to
identify problem drives.

If it doesn't still work, it might be worth a bugzilla.  As I recall
storage-fixup came from the LKML ATA devel team.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
www.IntelligentAvatar.net