List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2015-10-27 11:28:44

Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 27/10/15 05:18, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Anton Aylward wrote:

>>> I wonder myself.
>>>
>>> In some cases I've noticed the cursor lagging.
>>> Not in movement but in changing from the arrow to something else, or
>>> the system not responding as fast as it used to when we had
>>> "-desktop" when i click, for example, on the scroll-bar arrows.
>>>
>>> Here's another example.  As I compose this the cursor is a "dumbell
>>> bar" as it is when over text, but I move it to the area above the
>>> text for pull-down menus and there is a lag before it changes to an
>>> arrow.
>> I also have a nagging doubt - I haven't really spent enough time
>> working
>> on Leap, but it does seem "slower".  I haven't noticed anything in
>> particular, except it seems to take longer for key-repeat to kick in.
>> (might be hardware, it's a different box).
>>
>> I'm tempted to rebuild the kernel with the old -desktop settings and
>> see if I can tell the difference.
>
> I had the same idea but as I haven't compiled my own kernel for many
> years I am reluctant to do so - even if I were to rely on my old
> reference book because there have been so many changes which may
> affect the compilation process. If you do compile your own kernel I
> would appreciate if you would give me the clis to do this.

It hasn't changed that much (depending on how far back we go) -

install the kernel-source - zypper in kernel-source
cd /usr/src/linux
make oldconfig  (to get the current config from /proc/config.gz)
make menuconfig (to make the changes you want)
make
make modules_install
make install

(update your bootloader).