List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-10-27 9:55:01

On 21/10/15 19:29, Per Jessen wrote:

>>> I'd rather just have your two-line summary, please.  It seems to be
>>> only about CONFIG_HZ_250 ?
>> I would prefer it if you read the thread yourself and came to your own
>> conclusions - you may interpret things differently.
> Okay, I actually went and had a look:
>
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kernel/2015-09/msg00006.html
>
> It seems to me that Michael Marek proposed to skip kernel-desktop
> primarily to not have to create one for Leap (as SLE doesn't have one).
> As the differences are minimal, using kernel-default instead sounds good
> to me.  Martin Konold seems to have an issue with disabling preemption
> on the desktop, which makes sense, so CONFIG_PREEMPT=y is kept.

Then why the comments that some people may notice the change (by the
behaviour of their system) and - by implication - let's keep quiet about
the change and the "plebs" may not notice the change?

This is what I am finding exasperating: not letting people know about
the change. If you have nothing to hide then why hide the change?
However, the attitude expressed by those who made the decision appears
to me to be "bugger the openSUSE users, let them find out for themselves
- if they are not dim enough to find out."

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor