List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-10-27 9:25:26

On 21/10/15 18:17, Per Jessen wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 21/10/15 17:46, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
>>> I would hazard a guess and say there's no opposition to those because
>>> they serve specific purposes.  kernel-desktop doesn't seem to serve
>>> any purpose.
>> Then, provided that is if you don't mind me asking, why was the
>> kernel-desktop ever created as the "default" kernel to be installed
>> during every release of openSUSE for the past xx years?
> I guess it was only the default on desktop systems, but I'd have to
> double-check what goes in the minimum text-only pattern.
> It was presumably created to be a better, i.e. faster and more
> responsive kernel for a desktop user.  It's not so long ago either -
> kernel-desktop turned up in openSUSE 11.2, about six years ago.

In an earlier post you mention that the change from desktop to default
was because SLE uses kernel-default.

The question which follows from what you wrote above is: don't SLE users
use workstations the same as those used by you and me and which come
from openSUSE to begin with? The question which then follows is: why
aren't the SLE users allowed the enjoyment of using a faster responsive
system than they now have and which their companies are paying money for
(but then, I don't know what the commercial arrangements are re SLE)?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor