List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-10-27 9:03:33

On 27/10/15 03:39, Anton Aylward wrote:
> On 10/26/2015 12:31 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> I also have my doubts about the 1000 -> 250 Hz change. I will know in
>> time.
> I wonder myself.
>
> In some cases I've noticed the cursor lagging.
> Not in movement but in changing from the arrow to something else, or the
> system not responding as fast as it used to when we had "-desktop" when
> i click, for example, on the scroll-bar arrows.
>
> Here's another example.  As I compose this the cursor is a "dumbell bar"
> as it is when over text, but I move it to the area above the text for
> pull-down menus and there is a lag before it changes to an arrow.

If you had read the exchange of posts in thread in 'opensuse-kernel' you
may have gathered, as I did - but perhaps wrongly, that it was
acknowledged that there would be some people who *MAY* notice the
difference when using kernel-default instead of kernel-desktop.

I also mentioned in another post that I was a bit "upset" that this
change from desktop to default has not been announced to warn people of
the change.

But what you say above can only be taken as something serious by those
who decided to replace desktop with default if 'you' can provide solid
'evidence' of any changes to your system and not simple claims of
'subjectively' observed negative effects. They will grind you into the
ground if your evidence is not supported by others.

I cannot support you at the moment because I have not upgraded my system
from the kernel-desktop - as you can see from my tagline - to
kernel-default *BUT* I have done so on my laptop, running both os 13.2
and Leap of Faith, and I *have* noticed a slowdown in some operations
but I cannot swear to them because I do not run my laptop at the same
time or even daily as my main (desktop) system.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor