List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-10-20 5:50:56

On 20/10/15 09:32, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Alvin Beach <alvinbeach@gmail.com> [10-19-15 18:30]:
>> I'm running openSUSE 13.2 with the Kernel:stable:standard repo. I've
>> noticed that the kernel-desktop package has been missing for some time
>> now.  I checked the OBS and don't see it in the Overview tab either.
>> Has that package been removed?
> aiui, kernel-desktop has been rolled into kernel-default.

It hasn't been ROLLED into *-default.

kernel-desktop has been REPLACED by kernel-default -- as in _Back to the
Future_ replaced.

Apart from a truckload of CONFIG statemets which were *removed* from the
*-desktop but which are STILL in the *-default, these are the
differences between *-desktop and *-default:

http://susepaste.org/55220715

Some people running timing-critical applications may be affected by this
change - but nobody appears to see fit to make an official announcement
about this.

If you are now trialling 'Leap of Faith' then it already contains the
kernel-default (4.1.10-1.1).

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor