List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Yast/Grub2 keeps seeing a ghost
From:       Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon () decoulon ! ch>
Date:       2015-09-16 21:33:03

Hello all,

I have recently set up a Thinkpad X220 Tablet. As I intended to use some
features of the touchscreen, in a first time I have left the original Windows
7 - updated to Windows 10 - and installed 13.2 on the rest of the 320GB Disc.

As openSUSE works very well (for what I want to do actually better than
Windows), I have decides to replace the original hard disc with a 240GB SSD,
on which I have copied the openSUSE install (with PartedMagic).

I intended to then boot into the system with Rescatux and reinstall Grub.
however this failed: I can't start Yast/Bootloader. i get the following
error:

Internal error. please report a bug report with logs.
Details: Unknown udev
device /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HITACHI_HTS7232_E38.44563HDN1SN-part3
Caller:  /usr/share/YAST2/lib/bootloader/device_mapping.rb:in 'to_kerneldevice'

The "unknown udev device is evidently the original hard disc, part3 being the
original root partition.

The question is where is this stupid information saved and how can I get rid
of it? It's the first time I get this error when moving partitions.

I've solved the basic problem (installing grub)by running

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
grub2-install /dev/sda

So the most important works, but I can't seem to be able to let Grub know that
I changed the timeout - and anyway I'd like to understand why I can't let the
Hitachi drive disappear from grub's memory.

Thierry