List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Why do I feel that KDE is slow
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2015-09-07 0:36:56

Xen composed on 2015-09-06 18:14 (UTC+0200):
> Before 1999 (I never heard about it!) I had an AMD K6 266 MHz. Are you
> saying KDE still runs on it? I had given it to my then GF but she 'left
> my life' and took that computer with her. I REGRET THAT.

I gave up on K6 52 months ago, last updated 11.4. Even the K6-III is short of
equivalent to i686, missing sse2 and other instructions Pentium Pro or newer
include. I think the i586 kernel will be OK, but I doubt there's any point
trying plasma5. Likely KDE3, IceWM, TWM will still work though. I got my
doubts about Firefox too.

>> * from 'recently used' in the gecko menu
>> * as a pinned 'favourite' in the gecko menu
>> * as a pinned main item in the gecko menu
>> * using the search bar in the gecko menu

> 3. Never used that; I consider most of the "Gecko" menu (KDE menu) to be
> quite unusable. I only use the favourites and the search feature.

There are two different Gecko menus. Which are you referring to? I use the
one that more resembles the cascading Win9X menu, and the original KDE3 menu,
rather than the XP and newer type (the one that slides sideways within a tiny
screen area, instead of a tree and expanding branches).

> I'm just saying menus were better shortcuts in the past. We have seen a
> deterioriation.... what did that book call it? Regression. We have seen
> a regression in recent years as to how the GUI functions, not a progression.

> "It is the mark of a primitive mind to view regression as progress".

A big KDE problem as I see it is this twice observed discard of what went
before in order to rewrite from scratch, the first time KDE4, then
Kwhateverit'scalled now. Rewrites cause loss of functionality that time won't
always cure. The people making decisions and doing the coding are not the
same, and different minds reach different conclusions.

On the bright side, if you do prefer the ways of old, KDE3 lives on in the
openSUSE repositories. It remains my everday DE workhorse.

> Actually my position these days is that there is no good software anymore.

What's good doesn't necessarily have to be discarded. I still use orphaned
DOS software 24/7, and use OS/2 to run it. Linux DOS emulation won't allow
SVGA text video to work right.

> It's just the popup window switcher that takes time to fade in in a very
> nasty way. I guess you can call that configuration. Seriously...

Standard Kwhatever has bling enabled. With some video configurations, bling
causes mind-numbing sloth. Good chance you have a hardware/driver obstacle to
decent response. Bling surely needs to be turned off.

In Kwhatever, from configure desktop -> display and monitor -> compositor,
"Enable compositor on startup" needs to be deselected. Or, prior to starting
the K*5 session, edit ~/.config/kwinrc section [Compositing] to include a
line "Enabled=false".

> I might alt-tab to a window instantly and it is the right window, right?
> So I am already done, right? But no, after my window is already visible,
> the dialog is still fading in. So, that dialog grabs my attention...

On the hardware/driver side, provide us output from 'lspci | grep VGA', and
put /var/log/Xorg.0.log somewhere we can see it, web space,
http://susepaste.org/, whatever. You may need to enable a normally unneeded
manual X, cmdline or driver configuration that one of us seeing these will
highlight.

>... Blur. Translucency. I
> don't know. Make a new user lol, it will all be there.

Only briefly if you turn off compositing first thing on session start, then
restart; or if you first perform the above mentioned configfile edit.

> Everything that tries to use Akonadi I basically try to stay away from...

You sound like a candidate for a switch to KDE3 or TDE, a simpler life.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/