List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Cups 2.0
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-10-26 18:46:00

On 25 October 2014 20:32, Timothy Butterworth
<timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like it is time to  launch a CUPS fork before this becomes a
> major issue in the future.

The Red Hat ringing guys have a contingency plan in place (google for
printerd), basically it would replace the spooling component of CUPS
with a new daemon, but maintain the printer driver compatibility with
CUPS, as that's the really hard part and where we need Apple's market
leverage. There is a lot of legacy code and api in CUPS which is
better removed, but we don't want to fork until we absolutely have to
as it is a lot of work, there are few experts in this area, and even
fewer companies willing to pay people to work on it full time.

John.