List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       Jim Sabatke <jsabatke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-09-12 0:07:16

On 08/30/2014 05:46 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/27/2014 11:45 AM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
> > I should have mentioned that I've run a system monitor and have watched
> > Thunderbird take up more and more memory until it stops responding.
> > I realize
> > people often don't understand memory management.  Back in the old
> > days, I wrote
> > memory management software for embedded systems and even a floppy disk
> > controller with memory management.  I've written routines that track
> > allocation
> > and reported problem routines.  I had to really jump through hoops to
> > get
> > Windows to behave well in those days.
> >

> Jim,
>
> I suspect this too is some addon (or some need to
> uninstall/reinstall the addons). At rough glance, I have some 200+
> folders containing some 150,000 messages of mostly junk that I've yet
> to sort/delete. I do experience a tbird crash now and then (once every
> couple of weeks of 24/7 operation, but nothing alarming - the last two
> crashes being:
>
> Aug  8 04:00 bp-bb6449f8-f973-45a3-92b0-45c112140808.txt
> Aug 29 22:07 bp-58a9439b-2793-467d-b795-0f0472140830.txt
>
> Honestly, I bet if you did something similar to the following for
> thunderbird (transfer data to a new profile), your problems would
> improve:
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Recovering%20important%20data%20from%20an%20old%20profile?style_mode=inproduct \
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Firefox
>
> As mentioned earlier, I didn't even have to go that far. The addon
> uninstall/reinstall was all it took (I still had addons that I had
> installed with FF3 TB2 and had updated for the past several years -- I
> suspect there were some earlier setting from old versions of addons
> still around that were fixed with the uninstall/reinstall)

OK, I've installed firefox v. 32 from one of the sources listed.  I put
it in the /opt tree and I deleted the distro installed firefox.
Naturally I was missing flash downloader and player, so I went to the
firefox add on site and installed those.  Now when I go to flash sites,
for example like YouTube, I get constant annoying pop-ups telling me I
need to install flash, even though the media play perfectly.  This was
the major concern I had when installing a non-Suse package; all the
loose ends that Suse takes care of.

Any help with this?

Thanks,

Jim