List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Firefox memory leak
From:       Jim Sabatke <jsabatke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-08-27 16:45:18

On 08/27/2014 10:33 AM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> El 27/08/14 a las #4, Jim Sabatke escribió:
>> For quite some time, and across a couple versions of OpenSuse (13.1
>> currently) I've had terrible problems with Firefox.  It displays the
>> usual memory leak problems that programs often show, getting slower and
>> slower until it becomes unresponsive until I kill it and restart.
>
> While there might be indeed a memory leak. 99% of the time what users
> report as memory leak is a failure of understanding about how memory
> management works, what are the limitations, tradeoffs etc.. or a
> different problem altogether.

I should have mentioned that I've run a system monitor and have watched
Thunderbird take up more and more memory until it stops responding.  I
realize people often don't understand memory management.  Back in the
old days, I wrote memory management software for embedded systems and
even a floppy disk controller with memory management.  I've written
routines that track allocation and reported problem routines.  I had to
really jump through hoops to get Windows to behave well in those days.

The Firefox version supplied with later Suse versions, probably a
plug-in, is really causing problems.  I'm really not up on modern web
technologies, but I don't think memory management has changed all that
much.  I do know that Java is supposedly graceful in it's memory
management, but as another respondent suggested, it could be Javascript,
and I know nothing about that.

Jim