List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2014-07-15 10:48:46

On 2014-07-15 09:21, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> But it is. Trust me, I know it is.
> ----
> I believe you -- I.e. proof is in the pudding (working or
> not), but was just saying it seems weird.

Yes, I know it is weird.

How many consumer-grade gadgets manufactured somewhere in Asia have you
seen with properly written English instructions? >:-)

(other European languages get worse fate)

> I thought you said it was timing out only when you used the modem to
> resolve
> DNS, but when you pointed your resolver at an ISP or google DNS, it worked.

I configured my bind to ask first my ISP DNS server, instead of the
previous config which was to ask my router local DNS-cache-whatever.

And yes, that configuration works much better. It times out fewer times.

And, for the rest of the non-configurable gadgets in the house, I
changed the config in the router itself (dhcp section) to do the same.

And later, I changed the (obscure) bandwidth control in the router,
which seems to work better than the above .

But all the time, I have been using bind in my computer, since many
years. And despite it been supposed to cache data, it times out asking
for data that should already be cached.

>>> ----
>>> Doesn't matter.
>>> Your PC DNS daemon likely uses TCP to talk to the router, and the router
>>> likely uses UDP to talk upstream.
>>>

>> Nope. The router can not intercept my DNS queries and change them
>> anyway, they are just packets to be routed. Only when I ask the router
>> for solving DNS, it can do what it wishes.
>>
> ---
>    What do you mean 'nope' -- that the PC DNS daemon doesn't use TCP or that
> the modem doesn't use UDP?
>    Note that there is no "then" in that sentence, but an 'and' (they are
> independent clauses).

Look.

If I tell my PC's bind to do the asking to my router, then it is my
router who does all the real asking, and it does as it wants, udp, tcp,
whatever. I have no control on it.

If I tell my PC's bind to do the asking to my ISP DNS servers, then my
PC has control, and uses whatever it sees fit. If it uses TCP, the
router in the middle just routes the packets.

> The point about having your DNS resolved by your router was that the
> information in it -- that was programmed by your ISP, presumably, seems
> "off".  If you resolve directly from your ISP, it is not surprising if it showed
> the same peculiarity.

This model I bought on a computer shop, it is not supplied by the ISP.
It is prepared for use in many different countries and many different
providers. It self-configurates.

It gets the outside DNS to use automatically during the ppp negotiation
with my ISP, presumably, it is not hardcoded - but I can configure a DNS
address, if I want. It appears to have some kind of limited cache dns
server inside.

> BTW.  Something that performs routing decisions is usually called a
> router, while
> Something that adapts an external line and a computer connection is
> most often called a "modem" (i.e. I have a cable modem, for example).

Home ADSL routers do both. And they also include a small switch, and a
WiFi access point.

>>> If you config your PC DNS daemon to another DNS server, it may easily
>>> be TCP all the way.
>>>

>> I did... days ago, and posts ago. I said so here. And I said it
>> apparently solved most of the issue.
>>
> I thought the whole issue was that DNS wasn't working on the modem --
> not that you couldn't workaround it.  I seem to remember you saying you
> had multiple devices that needed to be hooked to the modem for DNS
> resolution.  Is that no longer the case and/or no longer a requirement?

Yes, that is correct.

I have devices that can not be configured at all (they use dhcp, not
optional). However, I can, in the dhcp section of the router, set up a
different DNS address, so that these devices do not ask my router for
DNS solving, but whatever outside or local address I put in there.

And I wrote in there one address from my ISP, and another from google.

Then, later, I found out how to tell my router to do some bandwidth
control, reserving 1K for DNS traffic. And this /seems/ to work even better.

>> Can't be done. The outside of the router is a phone line.
>>
> ---
> Oi!  Outside my modem is a cable -- BUT I can listen into the conversation
> on the other side in bridge mode.

If I put it in bridge mode then I have to get something else as
router/switch.

>> Gosh! Don't you know what an ADSL router is? It is not a business class
>> CISCO router and ISP big client pipe!
>>
> ----
> It's not even a router from the sound of it, but more what I'm
> used to being called a modem.  Same thing I have, but instead of a
> phone line, I have a TV-cable service.

These things are home/soho routers, and include all functions:
modem/router/switch/wifi-access-point. In my case, also
adsl/eth-cable/3G-dongle. Plus, printer via usb, and file-server via
usb. And they handle dhcp, vpn, dyndns, and I forget what more.

All in one.

> ----
> Is that all you have in /etc/named.conf, as it doesn't appear to be valid:
>
> When I try to verify your named.conf file, I get:
>
>>  named-checkconf -p -z  /tmp/named.conf
> /tmp/named.conf:1: unknown option 'forwarders'
> /tmp/named.conf:2: unknown option 'forward'

Telcontar:~ # named-checkconf /etc/named.conf
Telcontar:~ #

You can not put those lines alone, they need a context:

options {

   directory "/etc/named";

   dump-file "/var/log/named_dump.db";
   statistics-file "/var/log/named.stats";
   # neither file are created

   # forwarders { 192.168.1.1; };
   #forwarders { 8.8.8.8; 208.67.222.222; };
   forwarders { 80.58.61.250; 80.58.61.254; 208.67.222.222; 8.8.8.8; };

   forward first;

   listen-on-v6 { any; };
   notify no;

   disable-empty-zone
"1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.ARPA";

   include "/etc/named.d/forwarders.conf";
};

and then come the zone configs.

> BTW, if you are "addressing me" in an email, it would be helpful
> if you include my name in the recipients list.  Otherwise, I have
> no way of knowing the email is 'addressing' (talking) to me.
> Thanks.

You find that out because of this line at the top: