List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       Linda Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2014-07-15 7:21:58

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> But it is. Trust me, I know it is.
----
I believe you -- I.e. proof is in the pudding (working or
not), but was just saying it seems weird.

>>> But you see, I'm using my PC DNS daemon, aka bind. And it times out.

I thought you said it was timing out only when you used the modem to resolve
DNS, but when you pointed your resolver at an ISP or google DNS, it worked.

>> ----
>> Doesn't matter.
>> Your PC DNS daemon likely uses TCP to talk to the router, and the router
>> likely uses UDP to talk upstream.
>>

> Nope. The router can not intercept my DNS queries and change them
> anyway, they are just packets to be routed. Only when I ask the router
> for solving DNS, it can do what it wishes.

---
    What do you mean 'nope' -- that the PC DNS daemon doesn't use TCP or
that
the modem doesn't use UDP?

    Note that there is no "then" in that sentence, but an 'and' (they are
independent clauses).

The point about having your DNS resolved by your router was that the
information in it -- that was programmed by your ISP, presumably, seems
"off".  If you resolve directly from your ISP, it is not surprising if
it showed
the same peculiarity.

BTW.  Something that performs routing decisions is usually called a
router, while
Something that adapts an external line and a computer connection is
most often called a "modem" (i.e. I have a cable modem, for example).

>> If you config your PC DNS daemon to another DNS server, it may easily
>> be TCP all the way.
>>

> I did... days ago, and posts ago. I said so here. And I said it
> apparently solved most of the issue.

I thought the whole issue was that DNS wasn't working on the modem --
not that you couldn't workaround it.  I seem to remember you saying you
had multiple devices that needed to be hooked to the modem for DNS
resolution.  Is that no longer the case and/or no longer a requirement?

>>> You see, it first has to get a connection on port 53 to somewhere
>>> established... if this can not be made, it does not matter that once
>>> done it times out or not.
>>>
>> "It"  = PC or router?  Connect -- UDP = connectionless.
>>

> PC. Bind.

>>> Which I don't get.
>>>
>>> And some of the queries are to my isp asking for my isp smtp server, and
>>> they time out.
>>>
>> ----
>> But are you doing those queries through your router?  If it uses UDP, it
>> would do so to your
>>

> Se previous answer.
>

>> One thing we don't know .. the types of the queries..
>>
>> It would be good to use wireshark and look at the queries from your box to
>> both, the router and to another DNS server.  AND 2)  hook a 2nd ethernet port
>> up on the outside of your router and look how it is sending out the
>> queries -- using TCP or UDP.
>>

> Can't be done. The outside of the router is a phone line.

---
Oi!  Outside my modem is a cable -- BUT I can listen into the conversation
on the other side in bridge mode.

> Gosh! Don't you know what an ADSL router is? It is not a business class
> CISCO router and ISP big client pipe!

----
It's not even a router from the sound of it, but more what I'm
used to being called a modem.  Same thing I have, but instead of a
phone line, I have a TV-cable service.

>>> Despite me having on /etc/named.conf
>>>
>>>   forwarders { 80.58.61.250; 80.58.61.254; 208.67.222.222; 8.8.8.8; };
>>>   forward first;
>>>
>>> it is asking the root servers.

----
Is that all you have in /etc/named.conf, as it doesn't appear to be valid:

When I try to verify your named.conf file, I get:

>  named-checkconf -p -z  /tmp/named.conf
/tmp/named.conf:1: unknown option 'forwarders'
/tmp/named.conf:2: unknown option 'forward'

BTW, if you are "addressing me" in an email, it would be helpful
if you include my name in the recipients list.  Otherwise, I have
no way of knowing the email is 'addressing' (talking) to me.
Thanks.