List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2014-07-15 5:47:12

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> It takes about five seconds... I tried 2 or three times, and every
> time it tries a different route, but starting at the root servers.
> This command does not appear to cache the answer. "host -v ..." does.

Yes, you're right - "dig" talks directly to the nameserver,
whereas "host" uses the resolver which in turn uses nscd.

>> Just out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a QoS class to port
>> 53 (on the originating machine) ?  It is easily done with iptables.
>
> No, I haven't. I would have to study how to do it.

iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p udp --dport domain -j TOS --set-tos
Minimize-Delay
iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp --dport domain -j TOS --set-tos
Minimize-Delay

> But it would only benefit one machine, not the rest in the house.

Yes, but if it works, your router would appear to have some idea of how
to prioritize traffic correctly.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.8 °C)