List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: 13.1 - screen brightness stuck on high - unresponsive to fn keys - how to fix?
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-14 21:13:21

On 07/14/2014 02:55 PM, Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon 14 Jul 2014 11:35:51 AM CDT, David C. Rankin wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>>    One new issue I have with 13.1 is my Toshiba laptop brightness is
>> stuck on
>> high (really high) and I cannot adjust it with the normal function
>> keys. The normal method for increase/decrease is:
>>
>>    fn + F6 - lower (8 steps)
>>    fn + F7 - raise (8 steps)
>>
>>    What is strange is that this hardware brightness control has always
>> worked,
>> regardless of the OS (XP/DOS, openSuSE 11.0, 11.4, Archlinux) and
>> regardless of the driver (radeon, radeonHD, etc..)
>>
>>    Now it is just stuck. I can pop the 11.4 drive back in and it works
>> fine.
>> What could be causing this? Moreover, what could be the fix?
>>

> Hi
> Is the backlight service running?
> systemctl status systemd-backlight@acpi_video0.service
>
> or something similar?
>
> On my HP ProBook 4440s I had to add an acpi boot option(UEFI and
> secure boot on);
>
> acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2012\"

Malcolm,

   Thanks. Yep, it is running, it is just not setting the correct values in
/sys/class/backlight:

systemctl status systemd-backlight@acpi_video0.service
systemd-backlight@acpi_video0.service - Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of
acpi_video0
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-backlight@.service; static)
    Active: active (exited) since Mon 2014-07-14 05:44:51 CDT; 10h ago
      Docs: man:systemd-backlight@.service(8)
   Process: 335 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-backlight load %I
(code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Main PID: 335 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 14 05:44:51 alchemy systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight
Brightness of acpi_video0...
Jul 14 05:44:51 alchemy systemd[1]: Started Load/Save Screen Backlight
Brightness of acpi_video0.

   I don't know if this is normal, but I have 2 entries under
/sys/class/backlight?? Look at my response to Peter for full details. It looks
like the correct value that needs to be set is
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.