List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 13.1 - screen brightness stuck on high - unresponsive to fn keys - how to fix?
From:       auxsvr () gmail ! com
Date:       2014-07-14 20:23:39

On Monday 14 of July 2014 11:35:51 David C. Rankin wrote:
>    One new issue I have with 13.1 is my Toshiba laptop brightness is stuck
> on high (really high) and I cannot adjust it with the normal function keys.
>    Now it is just stuck. I can pop the 11.4 drive back in and it works fine.
> What could be causing this? Moreover, what could be the fix?

Could you try setting the value in /sys/class/backlight/*/brightness to see
whether the keys are registered to set the brightness level or not? For
example, on my computer

echo 100 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

reduces backlight to low level and

cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness_max

yields the maximum. If this works, probably some kernel module or special
setting is required for the kernel to handle the special keys.
--
Regards,
Peter