List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NAS home backup?
From:       Thomas Taylor <linxt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2014-07-11 15:22:26

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:55:40 -0700
Thomas Taylor <linxt@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would like to set up an older desktop system for backing up five home
> systems over the internal LAN.  This would probably be a scheduled weekly job
> involving both Linux and Windows boxes.
>
> What hardware other than the computer, LAN card, and LARGE (2+ TB-wife has
> LOTS of photos) disk would be needed?
>
> I'm thinking that rsync would be the best for this use but would entertain
> other methods.  I have a bash file that I got from someone on the OS forum
> several years ago but looks fairly simple to modify.  My main question regards
> backing up from the two Windows boxes.  Would that need Samba or some other
> software?
>
> The backup box has:
>   Asus M5A??  AMD socket 3 CPU
>   4 GB RAM
>   2+ TB hard disk
>   old PCIe video card (Nvidia ?) for setup only
>

> Thanks, Tom

Thanks for all you who responded.  Will do a bit more research on your methods
and decide what will work best for me.  If the NAS box runs a Linux kernel and
can directly access an ntfs file system wouldn't it be possible to use a
scheduled bash script to perform backups without needing Samba?  I'm a bit hazy
regarding Windows-Linux file systems integration.  Know I can read the Windows
partitions on my openSuSE box directly but not sure about over the network

Thanks, Tom

--
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that
respects and enhances the freedom of others."

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.6-4-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467