List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NAS home backup?
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-10 20:53:01

Greg Freemyer

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Thomas Taylor <linxt@comcast.net> wrote:
> I would like to set up an older desktop system for backing up five home systems
> over the internal LAN.  This would probably be a scheduled weekly job involving
> both Linux and Windows boxes.
>
> What hardware other than the computer, LAN card, and LARGE (2+ TB-wife has LOTS
> of photos) disk would be needed?
>
> I'm thinking that rsync would be the best for this use but would entertain
> other methods.  I have a bash file that I got from someone on the OS forum
> several years ago but looks fairly simple to modify.  My main question regards
> backing up from the two Windows boxes.  Would that need Samba or some other
> software?
>
> The backup box has:
>   Asus M5A??  AMD socket 3 CPU
>   4 GB RAM
>   2+ TB hard disk
>   old PCIe video card (Nvidia ?) for setup only
>

> Thanks, Tom

> Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
> openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.10-17-default,
> KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
> 16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
> FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
> registered linux user 263467
> --

If you're a linux guy and you don't need samba for another reason, I
would install cygwin / rsync on the windows boxes.

Then use rsync to sync between the 2 boxex via ssh.  It is a very
common method of using rsync, so you should have no trouble finding
howto's.

If for some reason you don't want to use ssh, you can setup rsync as a
daemon on the backup server and then have the clients connect to the
backup server via a pure rsync method.

You can setup a scheduled task on the windows boxes similar to using
cron to do it on the linux machines.

Greg