List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] NAS home backup?
From:       Thomas Taylor <linxt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2014-07-10 19:55:40

I would like to set up an older desktop system for backing up five home systems
over the internal LAN.  This would probably be a scheduled weekly job involving
both Linux and Windows boxes.

What hardware other than the computer, LAN card, and LARGE (2+ TB-wife has LOTS
of photos) disk would be needed?

I'm thinking that rsync would be the best for this use but would entertain
other methods.  I have a bash file that I got from someone on the OS forum
several years ago but looks fairly simple to modify.  My main question regards
backing up from the two Windows boxes.  Would that need Samba or some other
software?

The backup box has:
  Asus M5A??  AMD socket 3 CPU
  4 GB RAM
  2+ TB hard disk
  old PCIe video card (Nvidia ?) for setup only

Thanks, Tom

--
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that
respects and enhances the freedom of others."

^^^^
Tom Taylor  KG7CFC
openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit), Kernel 3.11.10-17-default,
KDE 4.11.2, AMD Phenom X4 955, GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Nvidia 337.19)
16GB RAM -- 3x1.5TB sata2 -- 128GB-SSD
FF 27.0, claws-mail 3.10.0
registered linux user 263467