List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Accumulating kernels
From:       Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse ! de>
Date:       2014-06-29 14:24:36

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:14:24AM -0300, Alvin Beach wrote:
> On 29/06/14 10:56, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is supposedly a job for "purge-kernels.service" run at boot.
> >
> > Due to mistakes it was not default enabled.
> >
> > Please all run once:
> >
> > 	systemctl enable purge-kernels.service
> >
> > On next reboot the superflous kernels will be cleaned. (You can trigger
> > it manually with
> > 	systemctl start purge-kernels.service
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:50:20AM -0400, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> >> Anton Aylward <opensuse@antonaylward.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Same thing is happening with the kernel-devel package:
> >>
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> and /boot is also littered with files from the kernel packages.

> >> This I want to know also.

> >> Agreed.

> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> Charles
> >>
> >> --
> >> "I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
> >> mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."
> >> (By Matt Welsh)
> >

> I think keeping the other kernels is a plus. I use the proprietary nvidia driver (nvidia repo) and
> also the latest kernel (Kernel:stable:standard). Sometimes the nvidia driver does not work with a
> new kernel. When this happens, I use yast (in console as there is no X) and uninstall the newest
> kernel. Eventually nvidia releases a new driver, then I can use the newest kernel.
>
> I just remove older kernels when I know I won't need them as a fallback any longer.
>
> In the past, I would loose the newer kernels when a new one was released. Then I  would have to go
> back to the default kernel for the version of openSUSE at the time. Accumulating them allows me to
> fallback to a newer kernel when it is no longer available in Kernel:stable:standard.
>
> BTW, thanks for mentioning purge-kernels.service. I didn't know about it. It was enabled on my
> system but inactive. I've disabled it now.
>
> This is just my use case and my 2 cents.

The number of kernels kept is defined in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

Default entry:
## Comma separated list of kernel packages to keep installed in parallel, if the
## above multiversion variable is set. Packages can be specified as
## 2.6.32.12-0.7 - Exact version to keep
## latest        - Keep kernel with the highest version number
## latest-N      - Keep kernel with the Nth highest version number
## running       - Keep the running kernel
## oldest        - Keep kernel with the lowest version number (the GA kernel)
## oldest+N      - Keep kernel with the Nth lowest version number
##
## Note: This entry is not evaluated by libzypp, but by the
##       purge-kernels service (via /sbin/purge-kernels).
##
## Default: Do not delete any kernels if multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel) is set
multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

So you could change this to fit your needs. Or just keep all kernels.

Ciao, MArcus