On 29/06/14 10:56, Marcus Meissner wrote: > Hi, > > This is supposedly a job for "purge-kernels.service" run at boot. > > Due to mistakes it was not default enabled. > > Please all run once: > > systemctl enable purge-kernels.service > > On next reboot the superflous kernels will be cleaned. (You can trigger > it manually with > systemctl start purge-kernels.service > > Ciao, Marcus > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:50:20AM -0400, Charles Philip Chan wrote: >> Anton Aylward writes: >> >> Same thing is happening with the kernel-devel package: >> >> [snip] >> >> and /boot is also littered with files from the kernel packages. >> >> >>> But WHY were the kernels accumulating in the first place? >> >> This I want to know also. >> >>> There were only supposed to be 2 generations (plus maybe the running one). >> >> Agreed. >> >>> This is supposed to be dealt with automatically, there shouldn't be the >>> need for the manual intervention. >> >> Agreed. >> >> Charles >> >> -- >> "I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of >> mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly." >> (By Matt Welsh) > > I think keeping the other kernels is a plus. I use the proprietary nvidia driver (nvidia repo) and also the latest kernel (Kernel:stable:standard). Sometimes the nvidia driver does not work with a new kernel. When this happens, I use yast (in console as there is no X) and uninstall the newest kernel. Eventually nvidia releases a new driver, then I can use the newest kernel. I just remove older kernels when I know I won't need them as a fallback any longer. In the past, I would loose the newer kernels when a new one was released. Then I would have to go back to the default kernel for the version of openSUSE at the time. Accumulating them allows me to fallback to a newer kernel when it is no longer available in Kernel:stable:standard. BTW, thanks for mentioning purge-kernels.service. I didn't know about it. It was enabled on my system but inactive. I've disabled it now. This is just my use case and my 2 cents. Cheers, Alvin openSUSE 12.3 Kernel 3.14.4-2.g0de0f93-desktop (3.15.* is available but the nvidia driver [RPM] doesn't like it) KDE 4.13.2 -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@opensuse.org To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse+owner@opensuse.org