List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KTp alternative to Skype?
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2014-05-07 5:32:29

Greg Freemyer wrote:

>> Not here, not at all. Any current running to ground is a fault, and
>> will cause the residual-current circuit breaker to pop. According to
>> wikipedia, it is called a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter" where
>> you live.
>
> We have GFCI plugs and they are typically required near water
> (sinks/kitchens/bathrooms).

Yes, same here I believe.

> But here the GFCI is only used after the circuit breaker.  James can
> correct me, but I am fairly sure any current flowing in the neutral
> lines inside a building is transferred to the ground at the circuit
> breaker and from there it flows to the outside ground/earth/dirt.

I've done some reading up on this, and you appear to be correct in
principle. In practice however, a neutral wire is always fed to the
household consumer as

a) it is often difficult to establish sufficient grounding and
b) there is a risk of the return current running in the upper layer of
the soil, causing significant dangers to humans and animals near the
ground spike.  (apparently this has killed horses in the past).

Source:
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vekselsp%C3%A6nding_(3-faset)#3-faset_vekselsp.C3.A6nding

I'll go and check our own circuit breaker closet later.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.7 °C)