List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] KTp alternative to Skype?
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-06 18:23:38

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 2:10 PM, James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> Do any of the 220-240v mains devices assume one of the legs is ground?
>>
>> A lot of US devices over the last couple decades do.  They connect
>> that leg to the outside case of the device.  Typical examples are
>> drills / saws / etc.
>>
>> Using a 2-phase US circuit to simulate a 1-phase 220v circuit would be
>> dangerous if there are devices that depend on one of the legs being
>> ground.
>
> Any devices that do that cannot have any exposed metal parts that aren't
> double insulated from the power conductors.  Those with metal cases,
> such as drills etc. are supposed to be grounded separately from the
> power conductors.

James,

We're way off-topic, but if the power legs are doubly insulated from
the chassis, why does it matter which leg is ground?  (I'd google, but
I don't what to search for.  I did find it is called a class II
device, but not the reason for not letting the plug work both ways.).

I had assumed they were using that one leg as both the return and as ground.

Greg