List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel 3.13 and nVidia graphics
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2014-04-19 6:03:06

On 16/04/14 18:34, Malte Gell wrote:
> Am 12.04.2014 09:26, schrieb Basil Chupin:
>
>> Sorry to say this but the above is MOST annoying! :-(
> You are right, I did not quote correctly. But, I think this is not too
> bad, because in the end  this patch did not help too much....
> After using it a few days, the resume problems came back, the KDE/X11
> desktop was corrupted again. I think only using Nvidia 331.67 or the
> beta 337.12 fixes the resume issue. The patch worked out to be of no use.
>
>> Having stated the above I want to advice you, and anyone else, that last
>> night I downloaded the latest nVidia driver - 331.67 - from nVidia and
>> compiled it for the 3.14.x kernel using dkms.
> Yes, 331.67 is safe to use with kernel 3.14. But, with KDE on openSUSE
> 13.1 suddenly KWIN did not work! The windows did not have any window
> borders and desktop effects were disabled. Thus I had to use the beta
> driver 337.12. I have no clue why 331.67 did not work with KDE, I do not
> know if my KDE profile may contain bad settings.
>
> Malte

There is so much missing information about your system/computer, which
you must have provided earlier somewhere, that at this point I will only
state that if the 337.12 beta driver is working for you then stick with
it :-) . (But using *this* beta for the rest of your life isn't solving
your the real problem you are having with KWIN is it? :-) .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.12.4 & kernel 3.14.1-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor