List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel 3.13 and nVidia graphics
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2014-04-12 7:26:18

On 11/04/14 23:10, Malte Gell wrote:
> Dear Masaru,
>
>>> I have problems with suspend to ram, when I wake up the machine I see
>>> the mouse cursor, but I cannot unlock the KDE screen lock. The mouse is
>>> there, but the screen stays black.
>> How about this patch?
>>
>> +#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(3, 13, 0) && defined(ACPI_HANDLE)
>> +#define DEVICE_ACPI_HANDLE(a) ACPI_HANDLE(a)
>> +#endif
> I now have used your patch with Linux kernel 3.14 and Nvidia driver beta
> 337.12 and it works fine!
> The machine can now resume from suspend and the screen is okay!
>
> Maybe Nvidia should include your patch to their driver.
>
> Your patch makes resuming work with kernel > 3.13.

Sorry to say this but the above is MOST annoying! :-(

If I am wrong in my assumptions then please forgive me.

I can only assume that your response to Masaru was to a private message
between yourselves, but your response (above) was then also sent to this
list.

I have checked the archives for March and April and there is nothing
from you, Malte, with the above Thread Subject - and there is no reply
from Masaru giving the full patch.

(I have tried to apply this "patch" to another driver and got back the
response, "patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.")

If you are going to provide a response to something which may be of
importance to many people then please quote in FULL the most salient
part of the advice you received from Masaru (ie, the full text of the
patch).

Having stated the above I want to advice you, and anyone else, that last
night I downloaded the latest nVidia driver - 331.67 - from nVidia and
compiled it for the 3.14.x kernel using dkms.

It was a 'normal' install for driver 331.67 and kernel 3.14.0-2 using,
"sh NVIDIA*.run --dkms" which compiled the driver without a hiccup.

@ Masaru:

At the beginning of this month (3 April) I asked if there was a patch to
compile the 331.49 driver for the 3.14.x kernel and you provided the
patch to be able to do so.

Before asking my question I had looked at the nVidia's forum site to see
whether there was such a patch but couldn't see any information. But
then you came up with the full info. of a patch.

My question now is: where do YOU find this information and where should
I look to find information about the latest patch(s) when an nVidia
driver fails to compile either normally or when using dkms?

Would be most grateful for this information (as nVidia is becoming a
real pain in the arse for producing drivers which have to patched in
order to compile with the [latest] kernels - and seeing as how dkms may
also fail to keep up with the latest changes).

BC

--
A civilisation is judged by how it treats the most vulnerable.

        Lauren Smith - 30 January 2014