List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2014-03-13 11:37:15

On 2014-03-13 08:44, Per Jessen wrote:

> Oh, I strongly intend to continue doing this.  At times I have maybe
> 25000+ postfix processes running, spread across a number of systems
> running 32bit. On 64bit systems they would gobble up much too much
> memory so I would need a lot more boxes.

But if this happens, it is bad coding. Programs do not need to use 64
bit variables just because they are available. They can just as well
keep using as small a variable as they really need.

Another issue is variable packing. The compiler might align small
variables on bigger limits (64 bit?), which would nullify the effort to
conserve memory.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)