List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-03-12 19:12:24

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Bernhard Voelker
<mail@bernhard-voelker.de> wrote:
> On 03/12/2014 06:15 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>
>> Jeff Mahoney, SUSE Labs, has publicly said no 32-bit SLES kernels for
>> SLE12
>

> Okay, but applications could still be compiled as 32bit executables
> by using 32bit libs (and thus e.g. be "smaller", as indicated in a few
> mails above), right?

Agreed, but for SLES I am pretty sure they are targeting bigger machines.

For openSUSE, there is no indication that 32-bit distros is being dropped.

So for the foreseeable time I suspect if you want 32-bit, you should
be fine using openSUSE.  Admittedly, the 32-bit kernels are about to
start getting less high-end testing by the enterprise releases.  I'm
not sure how much that matters.  openSUSE was typically releasing
kernels that SLES wasn't using, so they weren't performing high-end
testing on those kernels anyway, were they?

Greg