List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] >2TB support (was: What not to backup?)
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2014-02-21 13:12:11

On 2014-02-20 20:25 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata composed:

> On 2014-02-20 16:37 (GMT-0500) David T-G composed:

>> I found out the hard way that my two mobo ports were large-disk happy but
>> the four add-on ports can't recognize anything over 2T.

> What exactly do you mean? As long as the kernel finds them, that's all that
> should be necessary if all they are are data devices.

Not sure what happened here, probably because I wrote this as a mental break
from solving a long-running and frustrating problem. I was thinking >2^32
when reading David's post, but it somehow came out kernel.

This isn't about the daughtercard host adapter the HD is connected to. Trying
to access a HD with >2^32 512 byte logical sectors with any tool that is
limited to 2^32 sectors doesn't work. You can't use fdisk or other old
partitioning tools on a 4TB HD, because old tools only know about MBR
partition tables. You need gdisk or gptfdisk or any of the other newer tools
that can manipulate a required GPT table for disks >2TiB. To boot from a GPT
table HD requires PC firmware that understands GPT. Lacking that, a 4TB HD
will have to do duty as a non-bootable device.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/