List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: Where does LVM Info live
From:       Joachim Schrod <jschrod () acm ! org>
Date:       2014-01-22 22:23:39

On 01/21/14 03:49, Anton Aylward wrote:
> This leads me to think that it might be useful to have a small,
> possibly SSD, disk for 'the system' to boot from and to hold the
> log file, and use the "mirrored" system for "data"

I asked especially why Dave didn't use RAID for his system disk.

That RAID+LVM is a good choice for data file systems, is unquestioned.

Well, except: When your data set is so large that you have daily
disk failures, or even ones every few hour (as some of my customers
have); all this advice is mood, of course. Then you probably use
NetApp or EMC, and have system management people roaming your data
center once a day with a cart full of replacement disks as part of
their regular job tasks. It's part of my job to plan such
processes, but in our own shop I don't need it.

In this thread I'm talking about developer desktops or small
servers in SOHO environments.

	Joachim